Monday, February 4, 2013

Kothu Parotta / Kothu Paratha / Kothu Parata / Kothu Parota


Kothu Parotta, a yummy and tasty dish always reminds me of our town bus stands in India and the shops around the Bus Station. Many times, I used to slow down myself mainly to observe how they make the parottas at the road side shops. The sight would definitely trigger your hunger and drive you to one of the road side hotels irrespective of how busy you would be then. I never thought that i would be able to make my favourite Kothu Parotta in my life by myself!!!! Though I tasted this dish in many households and during special occasions at different places, I realized only one thing. To get the real taste of my dindigul Kothu Parotta, I decided to venture out different methods on my own. Finally I arrived at one version which was more closer to my dindigul road side hotels. So, presenting you all my favourite Kothu Parotta recipe which I like. Enjoy this tasty Kothu Parotta and your suggestions are welcome.

Ingredients
Kerala Parotta - 8 ( I used a frozen packet of  Maharani brand Parotta ).
Tomato - 1 Big
Red Onion - 1 Big
Green Chillies - 2 Medium
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 2 tsp
Salt - As required.
Coriander Leaves - To Garnish
Curry Leaves - 1 Stem
Oil - 1 tbsp

Method
  • If using the frozen Parotta packet, thaw them initially and fry the parottas in a pan. Break the parottas into tiny pieces and keep them ready.
  • Meantime, cut the tomato and slice the green chillies and red onion and keep them ready too.
  • In the cooking pan, add oil first. When its heated, add the ginger garlic paste and fry them for 2 minutes and then add the sliced onions.
  • Add a pinch of salt and fry them till the onion slices become translucent.
  • Once done, then add the tomato pieces, all powders and curry leaves and fry them for couple of minutes. Add required amount of salt initially for this mixture.
  • Then add the tiny pieces of parottas into the pan / kadai and mix them very well so that they get coated with the gravy mix uniformly in all directions.
  • On medium heat, allow the Kothu parotta to get cooked and fried with all the powders for 3-4 minutes. Switch off the flame once you are satisfied with the texture of the Kothu Parotta.
  • Garnish the Kothu Parotta with the fresh coriander leaves and serve with a side of simple, plain onion raita.
Tips

I personally feel that timing is very important in this preparation. Its important to add the ingredients at right amount and at right time to get the perfect road side taste.

Egg Kothu Parotta / Muttai Kothu Parotta



Follow the same procedure as mentioned against the "Kothu Parotta" preparation. Just before adding the tiny broken pieces of parottas, add 4 to 5 eggs into the pan and fry them on medium flame till they all get fried and mixed with the contents in the kadai/pan thoroughly.  Once they get completely dried and fried properly, then add the parotta pieces and finish the process as above. Egg Kothu Parotta can also be served with a side of onion raita.

2 comments:

  1. I was introduced to ur blog by ur friend Deepa.Tried this recipe today. Came out really well. We all enjoyed it a lot. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your feedback anitha..Hope you try out my other recipes too...

    Vidhya

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...